The emperor’s rule is failing, but his daughter Lin has not yet mastered bone shard magic, and will need to if she is to take her rightful place on the throne.
- Awesome magic system dependent on harvesting people’s energy by taking shards of their bones
- Imaginative world on a world of islands
- Multiple story threads/POV characters to keep you interested
- The relationship between Phalue and Ranami didn’t ring as true as other relationships in the book eg father-daughter
- As a geophysicist, I can tell you islands don’t float like this, but maybe there’s magic involved?
- Ending felt sudden. Would have liked it to be fleshed out over another chapter or two
It’s a fantastic book and one of my favorites this year (2022). I already started the sequel!